This website is operated by the BBC Club, data protection register number Z938125X (“BBC Club/we/us”).
Collection of information
In order to provide the services you want, and to allow you to experience a more personalised service when you revisit us, we need to know your interests.
We find these out by asking you, by reading your comments and by looking at which are the most popular areas of our sites.
Collection of personal information
We will only collect personal information from you (such as name, address, telephone number, email address etc) which you have provided voluntarily to us either by completing registration or enquiry forms or sending emails to us. Please do not submit your personal data to us if you do not wish us to collect it.
Examples of where we may collect your personal information include (without limitation):
- when you join as a member we collect personal information about you to allow the processing of you as a member of the Club
- if you enter a contest or promotion we ask for your name and e-mail address. This is so we can run the contest effectively and tell you if you have won.
- if you order a product or service from us we may ask for information including your name, e-mail address, delivery and billing address, credit or debit card number and expiry date.
Collection of Sensitive Data
We may collect sensitive information such as a medical condition to enable us to better advise you as to use of our wellbeing and/or Connect services.
Collection of other information
Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but usually you can alter the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer. If you choose not to receive our cookies, we cannot guarantee that your experience with our website will be as quick or responsive as if you do receive cookies.
The information collected by cookies and web beacons includes general information about your computer settings, your connection to the internet e.g. operating system and platforms, IP address, your browsing patterns and timings of browsing on our website and your geographical location. For further information on cookies please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
Use of your information
We may obtain, hold, correlate, merge and use your information (including personal information) for the purpose of providing you with our services and ancillary services and for our internal business purposes. These include (without limitation):
- informing committee members of any Connect Clubs that you have joined of your contact details in order that they may send information about activities, training and events, and general Connect Club communications.
- personalising your visits to the site and developing the design and style of the site to improve our services to you;
- to inform you about the latest changes to our website, or products, services or promotional offers that you might find interesting;
- communication (and personalising such communication) with you from the BBC Club and from other reputable and trustworthy third parties (if you have agreed to such);
- informing you if you have been successful in any of the competitions or promotions;
- compiling customer reviews;
- for market research purposes;
- to prevent you from posting illegal, offensive or objectionable comments on our sites;
- to enable third parties to carry out statistical analyses, technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf including determining behavioural preferences to manage online advertising;
- for strategic development;
- for any purpose required by law or regulation; and
- for accounting purposes
We may provide third parties, at our discretion, with certain aggregate statistical data about your use of our websites, which data may include demographic data such as age range and/or geographic location of groups of user. It will not include information that could personally identify you.
Only with your consent, we may supply personal information to third parties.
We reserve the right to access and to disclose personal information to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests or requests by applicable regulatory bodies, to operate our systems properly or to protect either ourselves or our other users.
We may transfer or assign any of the information described in this policy to third parties as a result of a sale, merger, consolidation, change of control, transfer of assets or reorganisation of the BBC Club.
Safeguards and Security
No data transmission over the internet can be entirely secure, and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information and/or use of our sites. However we use our reasonable endeavours to protect the security of your personal information from unauthorised access or use by using Secure Sockets Layer 128-bit encryption verified through Verisign.
In addition to our safeguards your personal information is protected in the UK by GDPR. This provides that the information which we hold about you should be processed fairly and lawfully and should be accurate, relevant and not excessive. The information should, where necessary, be kept up to date and not retained for longer than is necessary. Please help us to keep your personal information accurate by updating your registration details on the website.
For your rights under GDPR click here. For more information on GDPR and the Information Commissioner please click here.
We are aware of the expectations and obligations set out in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) being implemented on 25th May 2018, We have taken the opportunity to review and amend where required our existing internal processes, including policies, documentation for members, and working practices, along with communications with our own suppliers and partner organisations.
With the many different strands included in the GDPR, from security, retention, privacy notes and marketing, there are naturally elements currently being worked on, and as part of our commitment to delivering absolute transparency, we shall keep you informed of all and any changes we’ve made in due course.
Our ultimate objective has, and always will be, to ensure that your data as a member, remains secure, in the very safest of hands, and protected, and rest assured that we will continue to operate in accordance with the Data Protection Act and, as of 25th May 2018, GDPR.
Changing or accessing your information
Our data retention period, excluding any legal requirements, is 1 year after membership has ceased.
Please contact us if you wish us to remove, delete or stop using your personal information.
Should any of your personal information change, if you no longer wish to receive products, services or communications you have signed up for, if you wish to review or receive copies of the personal information we hold about you or have any other queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
BC2 B3 Broadcast Centre
201 Wood Lane
London W12 7TP
including full details of your request.
We do not charge an administration fee in relation to fulfilling a request for access to personal information. All requests for copies of personal information will be sent by post to the address we have for you at home on file.